Monday, May 25, 2009

I've been bad. . .

Tuesday workout: Bike to work (~8.33 miles)
Wednesday: Day off! (Which are very important)
Thursday: 30 min cross training (eliptical)
Friday, Saturday: Day off (This is where I've been bad)
Yesterday: Bike 20 miles, save a goat, walk 30 minutes
Today:???

I've been very, very bad this week. There is something about taking a day off that throws my whole schedule off. At least when I bike to work I'm doing something. I know that a day off is good for me; and I know that I have probably been overtraining. But, I can't seem to shake the fact that taking a day off is derailing this whole program. I feel like I'm trying to sabotage myself. I have worked so hard and so long for this; why am I setting myself up for failure? Maybe its because I know I can finish at this point, which is my primary goal. Everything from here on out is just improving my time and preventing injury. At the same time though, I don't want to be the last one to cross the finish line.

Traveling for work doesn't really help either. When I get back to the hotel, all I want to do is work on stuff from earlier in the day; trying to write up paperwork or prepare reports so I don't have to do it later. What I really should be doing is going downstairs to the hotel gym. I did actually do that on Thursday, although after 1/4 mile their treadmill automatically shut off which when you're going 5.5 mph is quite the jolt. I ended up on the eliptical instead, whick added in some badly needed cross training.

Sunday my co-worker and I went for a bike ride on the country roads behind my house. She says I've inspired her to do the triathlon, so if I could take her on a bike ride and not kill her she'd sign up. This is the same co-worker that taught me to swim in Seattle. She also used to be a runner before she had her daughter last year. With only three weeks to go I can be certain she will finish faster than I do.

About 2 miles from home we went past a farm and saw a goat. I couldn't tell it was in trouble, but it had gotten stuck in a fence and was crying for help. We turned around, co-worker jumped the fence and spent a good 3-4 minutes de-tangling what turned out to be a massively pregnant goat from its metal restraint. I think that made us feel more accomplished than the 18 miles we had just riden.

Alright interwebs, I need to get off my butt. I *will* do something tonight, either swim or go for a run. I haven't decided which yet, but I'm putting this out there to hold me accountable. I have not come this far to screw it all up now.

No comments:

Post a Comment